"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." attributed to Plato

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." attributed to Edmund Burke

Let's between us make the world a better place.




Tuesday 26 October 2010

Some holiday reading


One of the joys of going away on holiday is being able to catch up on reading some of the really good books that are around. Relaxing by a pool in temperatures in the 30's for the last two weeks gave me plenty of opportunity, and I was able to spend time on some serious non fiction as well as some lighter holiday material.
In the non fiction category I was fascinated by a new book just out by James Davison Hunter, the LaBrosse- Levinson Distinguished Professor of Religion, Culture and Social Theory at the University of Virginia, as well as Director of the Institute for Advanced Studies in Culture. To Change the World, it is called,The Irony, Tragedy, and Possibility of Christianity in the Late Modern World. Hunter's concept, of "faithful presence,"to be practiced by Christians throughout and within all aspects of their lives, and to touch all those of any faith or none, to work towards a flourishing of the world, struck a chord with me as it is very much my own theme.

When I wanted an easier read, I found a paperback that someone had left behind in the apartments, The Olive Route: a Personal Journey to the Heart of the Mediterranean,by actress turned organic olive farmer Carol Drinkwater. This I really enjoyed - I found the well researched history of the olive fascinating. I also loved her descriptions of places visited and friends made along the way. She was also disturbed by what she saw in the Middle East and the book ends on a more serious reflective note which adds something more to what otherwise would have been just another travelogue.



For much more about these books I have reviewed them both on Amazon, US and UK.

No comments:

It's Time you knew - by Transition Rachel at YouTube

Many reasons to love La Gomera

Madeira

Sunset

Sunset
with vapor trails

Followers

Total Pageviews