"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." attributed to Plato

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." attributed to Edmund Burke

Let's between us make the world a better place.




Thursday 21 April 2011

Distracted Drivers KILL - Cell phones in cars

"In 2009 nearly 5,500 Americans were killed due to distracted driving, and 448,000 were injured. Distracted driving means driving while texting, eating, drinking, talking to passengers, grooming, reading, using a PDA or navigation system, watching a video, fiddling with the car radio/CD/Mp3 player." 

Thank you Jake Richardson for posting that on Care 2

Unbelievable isn't it?

And in the UK we behave no better. I have written about this so often and I see no improvement in our crass behaviour behind the wheel. If anything it gets worse.

The other day I was driving home from an excellent conference - more about that another time - and I was nearly home, when a car drove straight at me around a bend on my side of the road. And the lady was holding a mobile phone to her ear. I swerved out of the way. We could have both been killed otherwise. I wonder if she had children, a boyfriend, a husband, parents, whatever, who would have been grief stricken. I wonder how her loved ones would have explained to mine, with me the innocent victim?

Come on everyone - just stop being so stupid! 

What do we have to do to stop this stupidity? The police seem powerless to do anything. Any ideas?

No comments:

It's Time you knew - by Transition Rachel at YouTube

Many reasons to love La Gomera

Madeira

Sunset

Sunset
with vapor trails

Followers

Total Pageviews