"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." attributed to Plato

"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." attributed to Edmund Burke

Let's between us make the world a better place.




Tuesday 9 March 2010

depression as wilderness - as a spiritual journey


The other day I wrote of the mixed emotions that can arise over considering the physical and emotional wildernesses of our lives. Still quite fragile from wounds of many years ago now, when I was in a very dark and lonely wilderness, I have found that I still can be easily affected by talking of this; still too easily dissolve into tears.

Therefore I was interested to read that the British Jungian analyst Esther Harding (who lived from 1881-1971) compared depression with the Wilderness - where, she wrote, our soul  has retreated into inhospitable terrrain and has no life or energy. (She also said: “If any human being is to reach full maturity both the masculine and feminine sides of the personality must be brought up into consciousness.” But I digress!)
But then again I have written of how I find in the Wilderness healing and contentment and peace. It's all quite contradictory, confusing and paradoxical.
Is depression a spiritual journey?
I am researching this, being also able to draw upon my own experiences of the last 10 years, and I should love to hear of others' experiences and thoughts on this. What is wilderness in spiritual terms? In terms of depression? In terms of healing? When does it hurt, when does it heal? Can the physical reality of a fractured earth in any sense be felt as a wounded healer? Would love your thoughts.

No comments:

It's Time you knew - by Transition Rachel at YouTube

Many reasons to love La Gomera

Madeira

Sunset

Sunset
with vapor trails

Followers

Total Pageviews